It’s Thursday! Time for another 3-Day update from Madame Ambassador! Stick around ’til the end; this is an audience-participation post …
Many people have asked me “why are you doing this?!” They want to know why I’m choosing to walk 20 miles a day for each of 3 days. I have two answers:
The first is that the Walk is symbolic of my fundraising efforts. It attracts a lot of attention to the Breast Cancer 3-Day cause, which in turn may interest people in supporting the group. In order to participate as a walker, I’ve committed to raising at least $2300; 85% of the net proceeds will benefit Susan G. Komen for the Cure, the remaining 15% benefit the National Philanthropic Trust. Both group support breast cancer initiatives, including research, treatment, prevention, and education. So, I’m walking in order to raise funds.
The second reason is that I have too many friends, families of friends, neighbors, former co-workers, etc., who have been affected by breast cancer. I’m walking for them. I’m walking for the 1 in 8 American women who will be struck with breast cancer. I’m walking for those I’ll walk beside during the Breast Cancer 3-Day; those women (and men!) wearing the pink “survivor” t-shirts. I’m walking in honor of, and in memory of, many wonderful people. I’m walking for my two daughters, that a cure may be found, and they never have to face this disease.
I’ll walk with their names on my own shirt over the course of the three days (or on my white butterfly wings, if my walking partner convinces me to wear them!).
Here’s where you come in: please leave a comment with the name of someone you’d like me to walk for. It can be a first name or nickname (Suzy, Grammy Lee, Auntie Beth, etc.). I’ll add their names to my t-shirts (or wings!). If you don’t want to leave the information publicly, you can send it to me via e-mail at dawn [at] sheistoofondofbooks [dot] com .
Thanks for your help! I will, of course, post pictures of the t-shirts/wings. I’ll be wearing them 3 weeks from tomorrow, the countdown is on!
p.s. you can check my progress at my 3-Day participant page.